Herb Gorgonzola Stuffed Sweet Peppers
with sundried tomatoes, cream cheese and garlic
I’m SO in love with these mini sweet peppers. They are adorably tiny, so sweet and so colorful!
A couple years ago I bought some of these mini sweet peppers and brought them to my mom and dad and told them they needed to grow these little babies in their garden. I’m so glad I did! They searched around the seed catalogs and found them and grew them the next year and have been growing them ever since. Mom and Dad just love the peppers, the plants produce a plethora of peppers, and they always give me my own little plant so I can grow some on my back patio too. I only get one color that way, but I can always fill in the spectrum by going to visit Mom and Dad who have way more than they can possibly eat in their huge garden.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy these little sweet peppers is stuffing them, most especially with cheese. This time I decided to use a mixture of cream cheese, herbs, sundried tomatoes and gorgonzola crumbles … and then I topped them off with a crunchy breadcrumb topping. Okay, no I didn’t really. I used crushed Rice Chex cereal so they would be gluten free, you know, just in case I decided I wanted to share them with my GF friends (but I didn’t! LOL). You can use breadcrumbs if you prefer.
- 7-8 mini sweet peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel), softened
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- About 4 teaspoons finely chopped sundried tomatoes
- Fresh basil, oregano, and rosemary (a sprig of each), chopped fine
- Fresh chives, snipped (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup fine bread crumbs or crushed Rice Chex cereal
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wash and slice the peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds. Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the filling ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs with the garlic powder, onion and herbs.
- Take each pepper half and stuff it with the cheese mixture, then sprinkle some of the breadcrumb mixture over the top. Set it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the peppers until you run out of cheese or peppers.
- Set the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the breadcrumbs are browned on top.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Garnish with tiny basil leaves and/or flowers if desired.
If you use the Rice chex or gluten free breadcrumbs, this recipe is gluten free.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.