Honey Almond Blueberry Oatmeal
So last weekend I was contemplating what to do with these fresh blueberries I bought at the store and also dying for a healthy breakfast before I headed to the gym to work out. I contemplated making baked oatmeal because I love fruity baked oatmeals that are kinda dessert-like and yet also healthy enough to make you feel good after you eat it, but I had WAY too many things I wanted to do to wait around for my oatmeal to bake, so I decided to opt for a microwaved oatmeal instead.
Making your own microwaved oatmeal takes the whole “quick oatmeal” thing to a new level. I mean, like, toss out those pre-packaged oatmeal packs. You DO NOT NEED them! A bit of fruit, some honey or maple syrup, a few nuts, some quick oats and a pinch of salt and you have a way-better-than-packaged oatmeal breakfast that took you, oh, about 5 minutes total to put together. With no weird un-pronounce-able ingredients.
Of course it helps to have some Sugar & Spice Almond slices on hand. Other than that, all you need is blueberries, almond & vanilla extract, honey, oats, milk and water and you are there. You have heavenly oatmeal in a matter of minutes. Quicker than a coffee break! You could even make this at work. Cooking delicious foods at work is so fun. Everyone looks at you when you walk out of the break room with an amazing breakfast like they’re totally jealous … and rightfully so. You’re not going to find any packaged oatmeal that tastes anything like this. Some of the blueberries burst while they’re cooking and the juices soak into the oatmeal and turn it sort of pink-edy purple-dy, kinda like that cereal that changes the milk color, except that this color is all natural, Mother Nature color. The best kind!
This recipe does make a small portion, which is just perfect for my little body, but if you have a heftier appetite, feel free to double the recipe. You’ll need to adjust the cooking times, too, but only a minute or two more.
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 1%, but use whatever kind you like to drink)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- A dash of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 - 3 teaspoons Honey (or maple syrup or other sweetener, to taste)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons cinnamon roasted almond slices (recipe here)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, stir together the oats, water, milk, blueberries, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, stir, then microwave another minute and stir again. If the oatmeal is not done to your liking yet, give it another 30 seconds - 1 minute and stir again. Sweeten as desired with honey or your favorite sweetener and sprinkle with almond slices.
- Enjoy while it's hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at What’d You Do this Weekend, Munching Monday, Treasure Box Tuesday, The Weekend Social, Tuesday’s Table, Thursday Favorite Things, The Weekend Social, PureBlogLove and Hearth & Soul Bloghop.