Kickin’ Buffalo Chicken Salad
with avocado and a blue cheese yogurt dressing
Buffalo chicken wings meets salad! A cool crunchy salad with hot spicy buffalo chicken bites, sweet onions, little juicy tomatoes, and creamy avocado, topped with creamy blue cheese yogurt dressing and blue cheese crumbles.
I “discovered” a salad sort of like this at Buffalo Wild Wings. My team at work was headed out for Mexican food for lunch, but when we got to the Mexican place, it was closed! There was a sign on the door that they were opening at 4 that day … no explanation why. So there we were, unexpectedly needing a place to go for lunch. My boss suggested Buffalo Wild Wings and so we headed over there.
The instant I saw this salad on the menu, I had to ask myself “why didn’t I think of that?” … I’ve never thought to put buffalo chicken on a salad. How could that be? I had to rectify this situation.
I enjoyed the salad at BWW, but I gotta say, I like my version WAY better. Maybe it’s the avocado, maybe it’s the fresh herbs in the dressing or the special little salad tomatoes I used (that actually have some flavor!) or the sweet crunchy onions, but IMHO, this salad is so much better balanced. It has the right mix of greens with chicken, tomato with cheese, hot with cold, spicy vs sweet vs creamy.
- Breaded chicken patties (or use cooked leftover chicken or 4 - 5 chicken nuggets per serving)
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce (like Frank's) for each serving
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 of a sweet Vidalia onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 clove of garlic
- A small handful of fresh herbs: I used basil, thyme, and a bit of rosemary
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- Fresh ground pepper
- About 4 Tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- Mixed greens
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Slices of sweet Vidalia onion
- Avocado, peeled and sliced
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Cook or heat up your chicken (I cooked my chicken patty in the toaster oven). Once it is done, chop it into chunks, then toss it in a bowl with the hot wing sauce to coat all the pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the dressing. In a handi chopper, whir together the mayo, onion, garlic, and herbs until everything is finely chopped and mixed well. Use a rubber scraper to scrape this yummy mixture into a bowl, then whisk in the yogurt, milk and black pepper. Stir in the blue cheese crumbles.
- Next fill your salad bowl(s) with greens and sprinkle on some cherry tomatoes and sweet onion slices. Toss on the chicken, and drizzle with dressing, then arrange the avocado slices on top. Sprinkle with a few blue cheese crumbles for good measure.
- Dig in!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.