Mr. Rife Chicken
A healthy chicken dish seasoned simply with onion, peppers, and mushrooms, created by a teacher and good friend of ours who had a profound effect on my son’s (and, consequently, all of our) lives.
Mr. Rife was our TaeKwonDo instructor, who befriended my son and invited him to play D&D with him and his friends. My son, a very imaginative, creative, intelligent and reclusive one, had been going through some tough times and this invitation meant the world to him. They met weekly to play the game (which took many hours) and usually bought dinner while playing, but one night Mr. Rife cooked his special chicken dish for everyone. My son LOVED it. He tasted Mr. Rife’s chicken and raved about it so much so that we HAD to recreate it at home. Mr. Rife was a bit puzzled by my son’s reaction because my boy ate ONLY the chicken and the rice, no peppers, no mushrooms, no onion. “You are missing all the flavor!” Mr. Rife told him, but my silly young boy did not care. He loved the flavors that the mushrooms, peppers and onions imparted into the chicken and reveled in the taste of the chicken alone.
I wish I could report that my boy has changed over the years, but no, he still eats the chicken and rice and leaves the veggies for mom to eat. I mind because I wish I could get him to eat his veggies (even though he is an adult now), but I also don’t mind because I love the veggies for myself. This dish is simple and easy with no spices to take over, so the taste of the chicken, the mushrooms, the peppers and the onion really shine through.
Mr. Rife no longer teaches TaeKwonDo and we no longer are involved in it either, but we still remember him every time we make this chicken.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or other oil)
- 1 cup onion, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 cup sweet bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into chunks (optional)
- Red Robin Seasoning & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large high-rimmed frying pan or saute pan, heat the oil over medium - medium high heat, then add the chicken. Sear the chicken on all sides, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is done all the way through (use a knife to cut a large hunk open to see if it is done) and the veggies are tender. Season to taste with Red Robin Seasoning & fresh ground pepper.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice to soak up the tasty juices. If desired, sprinkle with feta (or a shredded Italian cheese) and toasted pinons.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.