Mushroom Asparagus Quinoa Quiche Cups
These healthy little egg and veggie muffin-lings are a perfect make-ahead for breakfast on the go. They reheat quickly in the microwave, just 30 sec – 1 minute, and are nicely portable. You can eat them with a fork or as finger food. They are high in protein and fiber and help you get some of those elusive veggies into your body.
I wanted to make some of those egg muffins I am seeing everywhere on the internet, but I also found myself also wanting to put lots of things inside them … on my first attempt, I mixed the quinoa up with the veggies and topped them with cheese. This worked okay and they tasted great, but they were a little too delicate and fell apart easily. I put my thinking cap on and devised a better method. Toss the quinoa with the cheese, pat it down on the bottom of the muffin tin to make a sort of “crust” for the little quiches. That worked SO much better! Putting the cheese and quinoa on the bottom did hold together much better and the textures somehow worked better too.
I’ve made these with button mushrooms from the store and with fresh morels and the morel version is decidedly better, but use whatever mushrooms you have at hand. You’ll want to chop the mushrooms into little bits for this, so it’s a perfect use for the less-than-perfect mushrooms.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet mini peppers (or bell pepper)
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped asparagus
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely shredded white cheddar or Dubliner cheese
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 12-spot muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is tender. Stir in the mushrooms and peppers. Sprinkle generously with Red Robin Seasoning and freshly ground pepper and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook, uncovering to stir frequently then covering again, until the mushrooms are juicy and tender. Add the asparagus and saute for a few more minutes until the asparagus is crisp tender and bright green.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, mix together the quinoa and the cheese. Divide this mixture amongst the muffin cups, packing down the quinoa a bit with a spoon.
- Then divide the mushroom asparagus mixture amongst the muffin cups.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Sprinkle the eggs with Red Robin Seasoning and freshly ground pepper. Divide the egg mixture amongst the 12 muffins, pouring over the cheese and veggies to fill each cup.
- Bake at 350 F. for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the egg is set. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 - 10 minutes before gently prying the quiche cups from the muffin tin. Eat immediately, or refrigerate (or freeze!) and reheat in the microwave for a quick, healthy breakfast or snack.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: