Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese
Think pepperoni pizza turned macaroni and cheese. Comfort food x 2. And super simple so you can get it on the table quickly on a busy weeknight when you have no time to think, let alone make a fancy dinner. Of course, if you prefer sausage pizza (or vegie pizza), you can swap out the pepperoni for your favorite pizza toppings.
You could take this one step further by pouring the macaroni mixture into a pie pan, topping it with pizza sauce and mozzarella, and then more pizza toppings and bake it for a bit till the cheese on top gets nice and melty and bubbly. You sure COULD do that, but I didn’t take the time. It is quite delicious just like this, straight out of the pan. Mix it up and eat it. Faster than delivery pizza. Especially if you have the cheese sauce made ahead of time.
- 1 1/2 cups dry uncooked macaroni (whole wheat or regular)
- 1/4 of a small onion, chopped
- 1 - 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh garden or canned tomatoes, chopped, with juices
- 1 cup light & luscious cheese sauce (recipe here)
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni (or sausage or other meat or pizza toppings of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a saucepan, heat a pot of water to boiling, then add the macaroni. Cook according to package directions until the macaroni is done to your liking.
- While the macaroni is cooking, chop the onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- When the macaroni is done, drain it in a strainer, then spray the saucepan with cooking spray and sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent. (Add a bit of oil if needed for your pan.)
- Add the tomato, cheese sauce, pepperoni and Italian seasoning and stir to mix, then stir in the macaroni and stir to mix.
- Serve hot, topped with freshly shredded parmesan and fresh herbs for garnish, if desired.
If you are using canned tomatoes, this would use about 1/2 of a 15-oz. can, so simply double the recipe if you want to use up the whole can.
This recipe was shared at Everyday Mom’s Meals, Manic Monday, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Mop it Up Monday, Tasty Tuesday, The Bulletin Board, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Terrific Tuesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Frugal Foods Thursday, All my Bloggy Friends, Fresh Foods Link Up and Clever Chicks Bloghop.