Pumpkin Cake w/Chocolate Cheesecake Swirl #Choctoberfest
This is my third recipe for #Choctoberfest and I’m super excited to share it with you! Thanks to Hurricane Matthew, shipments of Imperial Sugar were delayed, but I finally received mine, along with an adorable apron and a silicon mat that I know I will use a LOT! (Incidentally, I think that’s included in the amazing #Choctoberfest giveaway! Have you entered yet?) Thanks so much to Imperial Sugar for being our gold sponsor for this event. (Yes, I received a box full of wonderful Imperial sugar and an apron and a silicon mat, but this recipe and opinions expressed herein are my own.)
I really wanted to get a shot of me in the adorable apron holding this pan and asked my daughter to take the pic, but it didn’t turn out at all like I wanted. First of all, I’d washed the apron and it sat in the dryer for too long so it was a little wrinkly … and then there’s the ME in the picture … let’s just say I don’t consider it my most flattering shot. Yeah no. We’re not including THAT one!
This cake, on the other hand, is gorgeous. And delicious! I really wanted to make something with pumpkin and chocolate because after all this is October and it’s totally pumpkin season. The pumpkin cake recipe is one I’ve been making for years and I have made it sooo many times I can’t even recall where it came from. I had this crazy idea to make some chocolate cheesecake batter and swirl that into the pumpkin cake … I was a little nervous as to how it would turn out, but told myself to relax. It’ll be fine.
It was more than fine. There were large spots of rich creamy chocolate cheesecake intermixed with the soft, tender pumpkin spice cake … it made for a very decadent tasting dessert … in fact, one of my friends at work told me it’s the best pumpkin dessert he has ever tasted and was asking when I was going to post the recipe. I’m on it, Preston!
Just gaze upon this deliciousness … don’t you just want to run into the kitchen and make it right now?
- 2 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Imperial sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat or low fat plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 8 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- 4.4 oz. very dark chocolate (I used 85% cocoa), melted
- 1/4 cup Imperial sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the pumpkin, sugar, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until they are fully mixed. Sprinkle the dry ingredients on top and stir them in. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, scraping out all the batter.
- In the same bowl, stir together the cream cheese, melted chocolate, sugar, vanilla and egg. Drop the cheesecake mixture in small dollops on top of the cake. Use a knife to swirl the two together.
- Bake at 350 F. for 25 - 30 minutes or until a small wooden pick inserted in one of the pumpkin swirls comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Here’s some more #Choctober goodness for you, from other bloggers posting #Choctober recipes today!