Rainbow Fruit & Spinach Salad
with Honey Ginger Lime Dressing
A rainbow of fruit (strawberries, mangoes, pineapple, red grapes and blueberries) served over a bed of spinach with crunchy toasted walnuts, creamy goat cheese and a honey ginger lime dressing.
This salad came about because I suggested for my daughter’s birthday party that we make fruit kebabs. And she loved that idea … but if we were going to make fruit kebabs, they had to be RAINBOW fruit kebabs, so we had to get fruits for all the colors of the rainbow. The small container of honeydew that I bought was the one fruit that got totally used up, but we still had loads of pineapple (since I bought an entire pineapple) and loads of grapes.
I had actually intended to grill the pineapple and feed it to the kids at the party, but by the time I was grilling, I was very tired since I’d been cooking all day long and I completely forgot to grill the pineapple. So I made salads for myself and my yoga friends with the leftover fruit instead. My friend Kay texted me a picture of her empty salad bowl after she ate it … here’s what she said: “Yum! I ate the whole salad and drank the dressing that was left!” (I have to admit … I did the same thing.)
I love having loads of different fruits in my salad because then every bite you take is a little different. I found myself taking each bite with two different fruits, in different combinations. The honey ginger lime dressing only takes a few ingredients and a few minutes to make, but oh it really adds a bit of heaven to the salad. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself drinking the dressing at the end …
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Juice of 1 - 2 limes
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- A tiny pinch of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- Mango, peeled & chopped into chunks
- Fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- Crisp red grapes, halved
- Fresh blueberries
- Goat cheese (or blueberry goat cheese) crumbles
- Toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together all salad ingredients except the oil, then while whisking, add the oil in a thin drizzle. Set aside.
- Make the salad by lining your salad bowl (or plate) with a nice bed of spinach leaves, then make a rainbow with the fruit, starting with the strawberries, then the mangoes, then pineapple. Leave a gap of spinach showing for the green, then the grapes and blueberries.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts, drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
You can make this salad in a jar by putting about 1/3 of the dressing in the bottom of a wide-mouthed quart jar, add the fruit, then pack in the spinach and put in a lump of goat cheese & walnuts on the top. Cover and refrigerate for up to 7 days. To eat, remove the walnuts and goat cheese, dump the rest out onto a large plate or salad bowl, and top with the nuts and cheese.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2017, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Meatless Monday.