Skinny Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip
Lately at my weekly Sumptuous Saturdays parties on facebook, we’ve been working our way through the alphabet and last week’s letter was J. As you can imagine, there were lots of Jalapenos at our “J” party and there were two, yes TWO, jalapeno popper dips.
As I am a HUGE fan of jalapeno poppers and pretty much all things cheesy (especially when hot peppers are involved!), I couldn’t resist trying this deliciousness. I started with Isabelle at home‘s recipe and then had to reference Moore or Less Cooking Blog‘s recipe as I went (to see if there were more good ideas to incorporate … and indeed, there were!) I had to try to skinny up the recipe because while I love a good cheesy dip, I hate feeling like crap after I eat it. So I called on my old standby Greek yogurt to help me out, along with some Greek yogurt cream cheese. I reduced the cheddar cheese (just a bit!) and used my homemade whole wheat bread crumbs for the top.
The dip turned out all hot and spicy (because I used 4 Tablespoons of jalapeno–feel free to scale down the jalapeno if you don’t like things too spicy), really good and cheesy, but it was a little difficult to get the chips to break through the crunchy cheesy top. You need a good sturdy chip, or maybe a veggie (celery stick, perhaps?) for that job. Once you’ve broken through, the dip underneath is all creamy and soft and quite dippable. Just make sure you have a sturdier chip, or some crackers or veggies (no thin, wimpy chips) to enjoy with this dip. Or you could skip the topping and go with the creamy cheesy jalapeno part all on its own, but the crunchy top is what makes it more like a true “popper”.
- 1 8-oz. package of Greek yogurt cream cheese (or Neufchatel cheese), softened
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 - 4 Tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup snipped green onion
- 1 slice of lean bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (for a GF dip, use Gluten free breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all the dip ingredients until well mixed. Start with 1 Tablespoon of jalapeno and add more to taste. Keep in mind: it will get hotter over time as the hot peppers infuse into the cheeses. Put the dip into an oven-proof bowl or small casserole.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs with the shredded cheese. Sprinkle the topping over the dip. Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and the top looks nicely browned and crunchy.
- Serve with crackers, crunchy toasted bread rounds, veggies and/or chips. I suggest providing a small butter knife to "break through" the crunchy topping and help spread it on the cracker or chip.
I haven't tried it, but I think this would also work well in a small dip-size crockpot.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.