Skinny Peppermint Mocha Latte
This time of year, I crave peppermint mochas. I’m tempted to stop at Starbucks or Caribou every time I drive by one and I frequently allow myself this extra little indulgence especially when it gets bitter cold outside (and it has been REALLY cold this year!) I found myself planning my shopping trips with a short stop at the coffee shop to get my peppermint mocha.
Not good. All those “little” stops start to add up after a while, and I got tired of the dent in my wallet and worried about all the sugar and calories I was consuming. I could totally make this at home, couldn’t I?
Well sure I could. I always have peppermint tea on hand–that would make a wonderful peppermint syrup! That’s all you need, right? Well, along with coffee and milk and such … and a little light whipped cream and some crushed candy canes too, if you want to make this feel like a true indulgence. Which it IS! I had three of them yesterday and I still have a bottle of syrup left to make more … I feel better now.
(and oh, in case you’re wondering about that little “dark spot” on the picture, yes, there was a stray bit of chocolate in my crushed candy canes that landed on top of my mocha)
- 1 cup water
- 4 peppermint tea bags
- 1 cup sweetener of choice (I used a mix of 3/4 cup stevia in the raw and 1/4 cup sugar. Use the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar.)
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
- 3/4 cup double strength coffee (or a couple shots of espresso)
- 3 Tablespoons skinny chocolate peppermint syrup (more or less to taste)
- Optional toppings: light whipped cream, crushed candy canes
- Heat the cup of water till very hot, then add the tea bags, cover and let steep for at least 5 minutes. Discard the tea bags and pour the peppermint tea into a small saucepan. Add the sweetener, cocoa powder and peppermint extract. Bring to a boil, stirring to get everything to dissolve nicely in the tea, boil for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
- To prepare your mocha latte: brew your coffee extra strong (or use espresso) and heat the milk till hot. Froth the milk with a frother or give it a quick spin in the blender. Pour the coffee into your mug, then the chocolate peppermint syrup, then gently pour in the frothy milk. To make it extra special, top with a bit of whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
- Pour the extra syrup into a bottle, cover and store in the fridge.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.