Turkey Avocado Salad & a Picnic
with Herb Chipotle Ranch Salad Dressing
I’m behind on my posts … I can’t recall the story behind this salad, how it came to be. I think it was one of those “I’m hungry for a good salad” moments and I looked in my fridge and discovered an avocado and some smoked turkey that I’d bought for my daughter for sandwiches. I believe I made up some dressing on the spot to go with it … something to give the salad a little spicy zing, but still creamy and wonderful. At least I think that’s how it went. My old brain isn’t always so good at remembering these details if I don’t write them down right away.
The only thing I remember clearly was digging into this simple salad and thinking, “oh man, this is good!” … and I vowed that I had to make it again for the blog. So here’s my 2nd turkey avocado salad. I almost wanted to call it a California Salad because you can always find turkey avocado sandwiches wherever you go in California. Transforming it into a salad with Herb Chipotle Ranch Dressing–that’s SO California, too. Those tomatoes on the salad? Those are NOT California … they are from my very own patio garden. I’m such a proud tomato momma. The little flowers are from my little organic patio garden too. They welcome me home every day with a big smile on their tiny little faces.
Scroll down to the bottom of this post for a blog train of picnic food … don’t you wish you could have all these wonderful foods on a REAL picnic?
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped fine
- About 1/4 cup finely chopped mixed herbs (dill, oregano, rosemary, basil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Mixed greens
- Finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced smoked turkey
- Slices of ripe avocado
- Fresh garden tomato, cut in wedges
- Green onion, snipped
- Edible flowers, if desired, for garnish
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- Slice the smoked turkey into thin "ribbons".
- Fill your salad plate or bowl most of the way with greens. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Pile on the turkey ribbons, then add the avocado slices and tomato wedges. Sprinkle with snipped green onion and add a few flowers for garnish (if you so desire).
- Serve immediately with the dressing.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.