Whipped Vanilla Sweet Potatoes
and five other healthy sweet potato recipes!
This is a recipe I’ve been making since my son was little. At the holidays, he would ask me to make them and he just loves them. He really really really loves vanilla and often tells me to add more vanilla, but I try not to overdo it. It’s a super simple recipe with just a few ingredients that is really wonderful. It’s not over-the-top sugary like some sweet potato recipes are, but it’s got enough sweet from the brown sugar and vanilla to make it taste just lovely.
- About 1 lb. sweet potato, peeled
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (more or less to taste)
- A pinch of salt
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into quite large chunks. Place the potatoes in water in a saucepan so the chunks are completely covered, bring to a boil and cook until completely tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove the potato from the water, put them in a medium mixing bowl and smash them with a fork to mash. Add just a small splash of milk if needed to get it all to mash up well (I didn't need any). Then mash in the the brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Once the potato is mashed roughly, get out your mixer and beat the potatoes until they are nicely whipped and all the potato "chunks" are gone. Taste and add salt and/or vanilla or a bit more brown sugar to suit your tastes.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Also, I’ve asked some of my foodie friends for some healthy sweet potato recipes and they happily shared their favorites too! So if you’re looking for some healthy sweet potato inspiration, try out one of these. Click on the image or the title to see the recipe: