Asparagus Sweet Pepper Egg Scramble
I went to yoga last weekend and it was an “easy class” … I usually go to power yoga classes and if I find myself in an easier class I find little ways to make it more challenging. I want to be challenged. This class wasn’t all that challenging, but it was at the butterfly house and I love doing yoga at the butterfly house. The only down side is it gets quite warm in there when the sun comes out. I was very grateful that I chose a location near the fans, so the breeze from the fans helped cool me off.
I did eat a little before class and I didn’t work myself that hard (or so I thought), so I was surprised to discover after class that I was hungry. Seriously hungry. Like needing protein and veggies hungry. I needed a good healthy second breakfast. I had some fresh asparagus from my mom and dad’s HUGE patch, so I decided this needs to use asparagus. And eggs for protein. Yes. Oh and there were some sweet peppers in my fridge that wanted to come along on this ride. I wasn’t up to fussing with an omelet or waiting for a quiche … so I went for a scramble. People think scrambled eggs are easy, but it’s really easy to get them all wrong. They aren’t hard, but there is a technique to a good egg scramble. When you perfect that technique and get them right, they make for a righteous breakfast.
This tasty breakfast scramble is loaded with veggies. If you want more eggs in your scramble, add another egg or two. If you want some meat in the mix, feel free to add a little (lean) bacon or breakfast sausage. Let me know how you rocked your scramble.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A pinch of granulated garlic
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) and freshly ground pepper
- 3 mini sweet peppers, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped
- 3 large eggs
- A bit of shredded Italian cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Pour the olive oil into a tiny bowl and sprinkle the granulated garlic over it. Stir to mix. Then, in a small mixing bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil. Sprinkle with Red Robin seasoning and toss a little more. Spread the asparagus out on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for about 15 - 20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the peppers, onion and garlic. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add a couple Tablespoons of water and sprinkle with seasoning and pepper. Whisk well, until the whites and eggs are well mixed.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and butter the bottom with a pat of butter or olive oil. Add the peppers, onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is tender.
- Add the asparagus, then pour the eggs over. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Let the eggs set on the bottom, then using a silicon spatula, scrape the bottom cooked eggs up. Continue this motion, stirring and scraping up from the bottom, until the eggs are fully cooked but still moist, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with a little more cheese (if you like), garnish with fresh herbs or chives and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.