Bacon Avocado & Egg Quesadilla
Ever wake up (or come back from yoga class) and you just want a really good breakfast? Something savory with a nice egg, a bit of crunch, with some melty cheese and bacon, and a little bit of kick? That’s what I was hankering for the morning I created this. It was such a simple, quick meal to throw together, but it was oh-so-satisfying.
Mash up an avocado, add scrambled egg & cheese, a few bacon crumbles, toast it up on both sides, with a little salsa to spoon over top. With that Chili’s salsa that I’m sooo addicted to, it’s simplicity at its finest in my book.
- 1 tortilla (I used a whole wheat tortilla)
- 1/2 ripe, green avocado
- 1 Tablespoon salsa (use more or less to taste; I used my Copycat Chili's Salsa-recipe here)
- 2 eggs
- 1 strip of lean bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend of cheeses
- Cut the tortilla in half & set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado, mix in some salsa (and salt if you think it's needed) and set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten. Stir in a teaspoon of water and sprinkle with salt & fresh ground pepper. Scramble the eggs in a frying pan, removing while they are still just a bit wet. (Don't worry, they'll finish cooking in the quesadilla.)
- Spread the mashed avocado on one half of the tortilla. Spread the scrambled eggs over the avocado, then sprinkle with bacon and cover with shredded cheese. Top with the other half of the tortilla.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and butter it lightly. Carefully flip the tortilla over so the cheese side is down in the pan, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes or until the bottom side of the tortilla is golden brown. Flip the quesadilla over and let the other side get golden brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.
It's easy to make these quesadillas gluten free ... just use a gluten free tortilla.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.