Bacon Cheddar Spinach Dip for New Year’s
I made this dip for a guest post for Steve at The Black Peppercorn last summer while he was on vacation. There were some requests on my facebook page for the recipe, so I figured it was time to add this delicious dip to my own blog, just in time for New Year’s Eve.
I adapted this dip recipe from Southern Cooking Light. The combination of bacon, cheddar cheese and spinach sounded really good to me, so I made some up for me to snack on. Yes, I ate it all myself, but I think it would be the perfect party dip if you can bear to share it. 😉
- 3 – 5 strips of lower-fat bacon
- ¾ cup chopped sweet onion
- 5 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fat free half and half
- ½ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon wortcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ – ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (add more or less to taste)
- For garnish: a bit more shredded cheddar cheese and chives
- In a saucepan, fry the bacon strips until crispy, then set aside the bacon and let it cool.
- Drain off the excess fat from the pan, then sautee the onions over medium heat until soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, mix in the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has wilted, the cream cheese is mixed in thoroughly and the cheddar is melted.
- Chop the bacon into bits, reserving a bit for garnish and stir it into the cheesy dip.
- Put the dip in a bowl, bread bowl or mini-crockpot and top with a bit of extra cheese, the reserved bacon bits and some snipped chives.
- Serve with thin slices of French bread, toasted.