Bacon Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins
I had this brilliant idea to combine two of my favorite appetizers and use up all the potato skins after I made that scrumptious bacon cheddar chipotle potato soup. I was careful when I scooped out the potato to leave a little edge on all the skins so I could transform them into something marvelous.
This is such a simple idea … mix up some cream cheese with jalapeno and bacon and throw it into crispy oven-fried potato skins, top with a little cheddar and green onion and you have yourself a wonderful little bite.
I like to use Greek cream cheese because it has more protein and probiotics, but you can use Neufchatel if you prefer. My boyfriend loved these potato skins so much he mentioned them every time I talked to him all week long, so I gave him most of these to take home with him.
You’re going to love them, too. I just know it.
- 3 lb. yukon gold potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel), softened
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 slices lean bacon, cooked and crumbled/chopped
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Wash the potatoes and sprinkle the outsides with salt. Bake the potatoes until they are tender when poked with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Let the potatoes cool enough to handle them. Cut each potato lengthwise and carefully scoop out the inside of the potato, leaving at least 1/4 inch edge on the potatoes. Save the inside of the potato for another use.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 F. Melt the butter with the olive oil and lightly brush the potato skins on both sides with the butter/oil mixture. Set the potato skins, cut side down, on a baking sheet and bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until crispy. Flip the potato skins and bake another 5 minutes.
- While the potato skins are baking, stir together the cream cheese with the jalapenos, garlic & bacon.
- Sprinkle the potato skins with Red Robin Seasoning, then divide the cream cheese mixture amongst the potato skins. Sprinkle the tops with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot sprinkled with green onions. If you have any leftovers, store them in a covered container in the fridge and reheat in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Add some chopped onion into the cream cheese mixture if you like.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.