Basil Asiago Risotto
Adapted from Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
I made this Risotto to go with my Basil Asiago Baked Walleye. The flavors match, so of course they go together! … I’m blogging it by request. I always love it when someone asks me for the recipe
I really really love risotto. It’s got such a wonderful creamy texture … and it always amazes me that there is no cream in it! It’s the cooking method that adds the magic. Risotto is traditionally made with Arborio rice, which is a short-grain rice. I’m sure this risotto would be amazing with Arborio rice, but I am having a bit of trouble finding it, so I used Basmati rice instead. The Italians would be dismayed, I’m sure, but hey, sometimes you gotta make do with what you’ve got!
If you have some fish on hand, I do highly recommend the Basil Asiago Baked Fish with this risotto. And a nice salad. For the salad, I used mixed greens topped with toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds, a little shredded Asiago and a spicy sweet balsamic vinaigrette (I included the salad recipe with the fish).
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice (or Arborio if you can find it!)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if you want a vegetarian risotto)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Asiago cheese
- In a large, non-stick saute or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and then add the rice. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until some of the rice turns a light toasty brown. Add the garlic and continue cooking for a minute or so.
- Add 1 cup of the broth. Cook and stir over medium heat until the liquid is gone, then add another cup of broth.
- Again, cook and stir until the liquid is gone. Add the last cup of broth. Stir and cook until the rice is creamy and most of the liquid is gone. It will appear to have a light "sauce" on the rice. That is as it should be.
- Add the basil and the Asiago cheese; stir to mix. Serve hot.
This recipe was shared at The Bulletin Board, Manic Monday, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Full Plate Thursday, Fantastic Thursday, Foodie Friday, Katherine Martinelli’s Rice Bloghop, Strut your Stuff Saturday and All my Bloggy Friends.