Cheesy Chorizo Black Bean Queso Dip
A creamy, spicy, meaty Mexican-inspired cheese dip that will warm you inside and out.
The name of this dip is redundant, I know. Queso means cheese, but the dip is all about cheese. It reminds me a bit of the cream cheese/salsa dip my ex-husband and I used to make. Or rather, he made it and we ate it together … he was really good at getting the proportions of salsa to cream cheese just right. I took that idea and kicked it up a notch by adding some hearty chorizo sausage, black beans, onion, bell pepper along with spices like onion and garlic powder and paprika. And then I topped it with some melted chile gouda on top. Oh yes.
My dad made the chorizo–he has the most amazing recipe for chorizo that I promise I will share with you sometime. I just have to locate my meat grinder … wherever did I put that thing? The homemade version of chorizo is eons better than anything you’ll find at the grocery store. But in a pinch, you can use the store-bought version.
- 8 - 12 serrano peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored & cut into chunks
- 1 8-oz. package Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- 1 8-oz. package shredded Mexican blend of cheeses
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup fat free half & half
- 1/4 lb. chorizo (loose)
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- Either grill the peppers (whole) until blackened on all sides or put the hot peppers on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the skin is blackened, flipping the peppers to blacken all sides. Remove the stems and throw the peppers with the tomatoes into a handi chopper or mini food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Meanwhile, put the cream cheese with the other cheese in a saucepan over low heat to melt, stirring frequently. Stir in the seasonings and chopped peppers/tomatoes, then, when melted, add the cilantro.
- Whilst the cheese is melting, cook the chorizo in a frying pan until browned, then add the onion and bell pepper and saute until the onion is soft & translucent. Stir the chorizo mixture into the cheesy goodness along with the black beans. Cook a bit longer until all is warm and wonderful. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.