Cheesy Seafood Kale Stuffed Eggplant
In her garden, my mom plants these gorgeous eggplant that are light purple/white and shaped like a globe. Every time she gives me one, I think it really is perfect for stuffing. It’s just the right size. This time she gave me THREE of them and I was sooooo happy. (Eggplant make me a little giddy inside, I love them so much.) That gave me enough so that I could stuff two of them and keep a third for some other fun purpose.
I started hollowing out my eggplant and thinking of what marvelousness to stuff it with … hmmm … and then it came to me. Seafood! Yes! I searched through my freezer for some fish and shrimp and found a can of crab meat in my cupboard. Oh yes, this is going to be gooood. And I threw in some of the beautiful kale my sister brought me from her garden. (I am in garden heaven!) I dug in my cheese drawer for some cheese. I briefly thought about making a white sauce, then discarded that idea in favor of the simplicity of Greek cream cheese.
The resulting filling tasted so good, I chowed down all the extra filling that I couldn’t fit back in the eggplant in a couple minutes, literally shoveling it into my mouth. I gave away two of these lovelies to my yoga friend–the other two are for ME!
- 2 globe or white eggplants (or 1 larger eggplant)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeld & chopped
- 1/2 - 1 small hot pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 6-oz. can of crabmeat (or fresh crabmeat), drained
- 8 oz. fully cooked frozen peeled shrimp, thawed and cut into small chunks (tails removed)
- 1 small salmon fillet broken into chunks
- 3 oz. Greek cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend of cheeses (about 3 oz.)
- 3 ribs of fresh kale, chopped (about 2 cups) - or fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out most of the flesh of the eggplant with a grapefruit spoon, taking care to leave at least 1/4 inch edge around the eggplant. Chop the removed eggplant well.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the avocado oil, then the eggplant, garlic and onion. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent and the eggplant is tender. Add the peppers and saute a few more minutes until the peppers are tender, then add the tomato, crab, shrimp, salmon, cheeses and seasonings. Stir and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes, until the salmon is just cooked through and the cheese is melted. Stir in the kale just for a minute until it is warmed and wilted.
- Spoon the mixture back into the eggplant shells, mounding it up to fit as much of the filling as you can back into the eggplant. Top with cheese and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and slightly browned. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.