Chicken Mango Avocado Salad
with Rosemary Maple Yogurt Dressing & Toasted Pinons
Sometimes when I’m at yoga and I’m doing the “listening to your body” part, I hear my body screaming for certain foods. Tonight my body was screaming for chicken … partly because our power yoga class was particularly challenging this evening and partly because I hadn’t eaten that much today. As soon as I hear that “calling” from my body, I do a quick mental inventory of the ingredients I have in my house. Tonight I heard chicken … then I thought “Mango” and “oooh avocado” and “salad” … all this happened in a flash of inspiration during yoga class and I had to tell my mind to stop. We can finish this later.
But of course my mind has a hard time staying away from a thought like Chicken Mango Avocado Salad … I did manage to pause it through most of yoga class (interrupted just a few times), but as soon as yoga class was over, I was on a mission to make this beautiful salad. I decided on the dressing on the drive home, walked in and started cooking. I had to mow our yard tonight too and my kids wanted me to run them to DQ so there wasn’t much time … but I did it! And I enjoyed every last bite and tucked away the rest of the mango, avocado, and dressing for another lovely salad this week.
You can use leftover chicken from a previous meal (reheated) or a frozen chicken patty (or a couple tenders). If you’re going with the latter path, I recommend splurging on a natural chicken patty with fewer preservatives. Look at the ingredients list: if you can read and recognize all of them, that’s a good thing.
- 1/3 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- A small sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped fine (about 1 teaspoon after chopping)
- 1 cooked chicken breast or chicken patty or 2 - 3 chicken tenders
- Mixed greens
- Several slices of fresh peeled mango
- About 1/4 of an avocado, sliced
- A couple Tablespoons of pinons (pine nuts), toasted
- In a bowl, stir together the yogurt, maple syrup and rosemary till smooth and well mixed. Add a bit of milk to thin if needed.
- Cook or reheat your chicken and chop it into chunks.
- Cover your salad plate or bowl with greens, top with chicken, mango and avocado. Sprinkle on some pinons and then drizzle with the dressing. Garnish with edible flowers if you like.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Sweet & Savory Sunday, Mop it Up Monday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Cast Party Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Tasty Thursday, Thursday’s Treasures, What to Do Weekends, Foodie Friends Friday Chicken Recipes and Foodie Friends Friday.