Chocolate Covered Strawberry Breakfast Bake
Adapted from Gourmatine Blog
Strawberries and chocolate baked up in a sweet breakfast bake filled with healthy oats and sweetened with honey and cinnamon.
I’ve made similar breakfast bakes before. I did one with rhubarb and mulberries, and one with strawberries and peaches, one with bananas and chocolate. You can switch out the fruits and spices and get wonderfully different results. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought to do a chocolate strawberry version until I saw the beautiful pictures from Gourmatine Blog.
I love these kinds of breakfast bakes because they are sweet, warm and delicious, easy to make, delicious and decadent, dessert-like, yet healthy too.
AND they are also easy to take to work and reheat in the microwave (especially if you bake them in little ramekins). Lately I’ve really been loving my little ramekins.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 lb. strawberries
- About 2 Tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- About 2 Tablespoons almond flakes
- About 1 Tablespoon raw (turbinado) sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, honey, and vanilla. Add in the spices, oats, flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Clean and chop about a pound of strawberries and mix them into the batter.
- Spray 2-3 oven-safe bowls or large ramekins with cooking spray, and layer the rest of the chopped strawberries on the bottom.
- Pour the "batter" over top of the strawberries and top with chocolate chips and almonds. Sprinkle lightly with the raw sugar.
- Bake at 400 for about 25 - 35 minutes, depending on the size of your ramekins.
- Serve hot, with a little chocolate syrup drizzled on top if you like. A dollop of cool vanilla yogurt would be nice on the top too.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.