Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Adapted from Cookies! A Cookie Lover’s Collection from Creative Publishing International
It’s been a crazy week at work … oh when isn’t it a crazy week? This is how I like it, though … always something new happening, always something to do. We have a BIG project coming up and on Thursday we had a 4-hour meeting scheduled. The meeting was over in “the other building” so inside I began to panic. … I was thinking “He won’t think to bring food … we gotta have food!” So I woke up that morning and quickly whipped up a batch of bars with all my favorite things inside, threw them in the oven and went to take a shower. I then ran to the store get milk while my son was helping out with getting my daughter out of bed and ready for school …
It was a little bit of a crazy morning … and honestly, it didn’t go all that well, but I did manage to get milk and the bars were a big hit at the meeting (and afterwards too) … I did manage to salvage one bar to bring home to photograph. I HAD to save at least one because I’ve already got people asking for the recipe … and I wouldn’t want to forget this one. It has so many of my favorite flavors in it!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed well
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 2/3 cup (or so) high quality dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until totally creamy and well blended. Add the banana and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder and salt and stir just until everything is mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9x9x2 inch baking pan with cooking spray and dump the batter in the pan. Smooth out the batter across the pan with a nonstick spatula, making the surface as flat as possible.
- Sprinkle the top with coarsely chopped peanuts and raw sugar. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is a lovely golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (aside from the melty chocolate chips).
- Now, melt a small bit of chocolate chips in a small bowl using the microwave for a minute. Stir. If not melted, microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. Drizzle the melted chocolate chips over the top of the bars with a spoon. Set aside in a cool place until the chocolate sets.
- Slice into bars with a sharp knife and enjoy!
This recipe was shared at Foodie Friends Friday, Show & Tell Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Everyday Mom’s Meals, Manic Monday (SuperBowl Edition), Iron Chef Mom (Peanut Butter) and Katherine Martinelli’s Game Day Bloghop.