Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Roasted red peppers and cream cheese with a bit of Sriracha in a warm, comforting, creamy soup.
Soooo this is the next most requested recipe on my list of gotta-get-posted recipes for the blog. It is actually a recipe I made some time ago, back in October. I made it, I tried it … I liked it, but I wanted to get someone else to tell me what THEY thought of the recipe. So since we were going to visit my sister and she never has time to cook, I took it to my sister. I told her I wanted to know what she thought of it and I left it with her. I hadn’t heard from her since then, so I texted her tonight … “what did you think of the soup?”
She didn’t text me back … she called me to tell me the story of what happened to the soup. She didn’t get around to eating it right away, so she froze it. And then she took it up to the cabin where my family was hunting … and kind of accidentally left it there, and she said that Dad took it home with him. Gosh my little pot of soup was getting around! So I called Dad and asked if he had tried the Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Oh yes, he said, he brought it home with him and ate it all up! It was good. We chatted for a while and then he said would I like to talk to mom? Oh sure, I’ll talk to mom … “Hey, mom, what did you think of the soup?” I sad to her … “What soup? she responded. Oh my gosh, my dad ate all the soup and mom never even knew it was there!
So there you go, that’s the story of my Roasted Red Pepper Soup … if you are anything like me and my dad, you’ll love it. If you want to roast the peppers on the grill, go visit this post for instructions. Otherwise, just heat your oven very hot (or to broil) and roast them in the oven.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled & chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Red Robin seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- A small bit of fresh oregano
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Roast the red peppers on the grill or under a broiler in the oven until the skins are blackened on all sides, turning to roast all the sides.Set the hot roasted peppers in a covered bowl to steam until cool enough to handle. The skins should pull off easily.Remove the stems and seeds.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, then add the onion and garlic and saute until soft. Add the wine and cook until the wine is mostly gone and the onion is very very soft.
- Add the peppers, broth, seasonings and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes. Pour the soup into a blender and add the cream cheese, vinegar and fresh herbs. Let set a while to cool a bit, then cover the blender and hold the top with a towel. Pulse very gently a couple times, then puree the soup. Adjust seasonings, herbs, and vinegar to taste. Enjoy while it's hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.