Dilly Bacon & Roasted Sweet Pepper Dip
A creamy low-fat dip infused with smoky bacon, roasted sweet peppers, garlic and dill.
I’ve been playing with those colorful sweet mini peppers again … they are so delightful!
This time I made a dip. I love dips. Usually I try to stick to healthier things for dipping than fatty chips, but today I needed some potato chips. Potato chips are my “feel better” food. I went to Target and found some that are made with just potatoes, oil and salt. No preservatives. I like that.
And I like this dip. So much that I ate it all up … dang! No more dip! Now what am I going to eat?
- 4 small sweet peppers, roasted and peeled (or 1 bell pepper)
- 6 oz. light cream cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (fresh dillweed would be so much better! but alas I have none ...)
- 1 - 4 cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicky you want your dip)
- 4 green onions, tops only
- 2 slices lean bacon, cooked but not crispy and trimmed of fat
- For garnish: snipped green onion, chopped cooked bacon crumbles and/or chopped fresh pepper
- Roast the pretty little peppers in the oven on the broil setting for a few minutes until the tops are blackened and bubbly. Turn the peppers over. Roast them some more until this side is done too. If you need to turn them again to get all the sides well cooked, repeat one more time.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and let them cool a bit, until they are cool enough to handle. The peels of the peppers should slip off very easily. Pull out the core, stem and seeds as well.
- Put the peppers with the rest of the ingredients in a handi chopper or food process and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with green onions and/or bacon or pepper bits ... Enjoy with chips, crackers or vegies! (I went for the chips this time ... but it does go really nicely with vegies too.)
You could thin out this dip with some buttermilk or milk for a tasty salad dressing.