Half Moon Sesame Thai Cucumber Salad
A tasty light cucumber salad that takes advantage of garden fresh produce, fresh herbs and some exotic flavors from Thailand and the Orient.
This week has been a rough week for me on a lot of levels. I won’t trouble you with the details, but suffice it to say there is some teenage angst, young adult struggles, best friends stressing out from death about them, parents quietly aging (and worries along with that), job stress and disappointment … and then the weather brings excessive heat and humidity to top it all off.
Still, amongst all this craziness, there is plenty of love, beauty and positive energy flowing about me. I’m proud and hopeful for my children as they are searching to find their place in the world, and reminding myself to go with the flow and be supportive and grateful for my family, my friends, my work and my coworkers.
And tomorrow we have a big company potluck picnic. That is something to look forward to! At first, I signed up to bring burgers, but then I thought of all the good produce in my drawer and switched to salad. I have fresh garden cucumbers that mom gave me, and who doesn’t love a good cucumber salad?
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Thai curry paste (red or green)
- 4 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons agave or honey
- Finely chopped jalapeno and/or sriracha (optional ... to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 cups English (burp-less) cucumbers, sliced & halved
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro and/or basil leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, fish sauce, Thai curry paste, vinegar and agave or honey. Stir in jalapeno and/or sriracha (I used 1/2 a jalapeno and 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha.)
- In a small stream, while whisking briskly, drizzle the sesame oil into the dressing. Set the dressing aside while you prep the salad.
- Slice the cucumbers, then chop the slices in half to make a half-moon shape. Gently toss the cucumbers with the chopped onion and bell pepper and cilantro and/or basil in a bowl. Toss with the dressing, then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and/or chopped roasted cashews or peanuts. Garnish with a fresh sprig of cilantro or basil and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.