Heavenly Almond Joy Brownies
The brownie base for this recipe is adapted from the Southern Lady Cooks
The idea for these brownies actually happened last summer. I was going to make a chocolate zucchini cake and top it with the classic Almond Joy ingredients. Both coconut and almonds are so delicious toasted, so putting them atop a chocolatey baked something with some good-quality chocolate chips, well there you have a bit of heaven.
The “Base” for these incredible treats is called “Heavenly Brownies” and kicking it up a notch by adding the toasted almonds and coconut and chocolate, well, I will just warn you to be careful, these are dangerous and once you have started eating them, you may have a hard time stopping. I immediately packaged mine up and took it to my friends who are having an art sale this weekend. They were devoured quickly much to my delight.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine or 12 tablespoons, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in the eggs, butter and vanilla until well mixed. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread it out evenly in the pan. Sprinkle with almonds, coconut and chocolate chips (in that order).
- Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the coconut and nuts are nicely toasted. Let cool, then cut into squares.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.