Lavender Cream Cheese Stuffed Figs
I found some fresh figs … right here in the midwest where such exotic things oh so rarely make an appearance. The foodie in me has been extremely jealous of all the fresh fig recipes I see online … I always ooh and ah over them, wishing, oh wishing, that I could experience this marvelous-ness that is a fresh fig, right here in my homeland.
And then, while I’m wandering around in Costco one day … and I happenstance “fall” into the produce area (because I just have to stroll through there no matter how much produce I have in my fridge at home … you just never know what you might find there) … and I stumbled across some fresh figs. Aaaaaah!!!! (sound of angels singing) … my fingers tremble as I reach for them and oh so gently set them into MY cart. Yes, you precious little purple fruits … you are MINE now.
I have bought two boxes of figs now from Costco … and I’m learning how to let them ripen to their sweetest, juiciest, tastiest state. When I bought them, they were green on the outside, but I could see they wanted to turn a brownish purple color, so I set them on the kitchen counter and watched them carefully for a day or two. As each one turned the signature “ripeness” color (these ones turn sort of purplish-brown, but different varieties of figs have different colors), I set it in the fruit drawer in the fridge. I ended up with a whole group of luscious red-purple fresh figs.
I’ve made these particular little appetizers/desserts on two occasions: once for a work meeting and once for a yoga party. Several people wanted the recipe and I promised I would post it. It took me a while, but here you go, friends: the easiest, most elegant dessert in little bite-size form. Go get ye some figs and let’s party!
- 4 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel), softened
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 - 5 fresh lavender leaves
- A small sprig of fresh basil leaves
- A small sprig of fresh stevia leaves (or stevia)
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Several fresh figs
- Sugar & Spice Almond Slices (recipe here)
- Mix together the ingredients for the maple lavender cream cheese, then chill it.
- Just before serving time, cut the figs, spread each with a bit of the maple lavender cream cheese and sprinkle with the roasted almonds. If you like, garnish each with a leaf of mint.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.