Mango Chicken Mulberry Salad
With Mango Lavender Key Lime Yogurt Dressing
I bought a mango a while ago, dreaming of a mango chicken salad. At the time I bought the mango, I had intended to make it with strawberries, but then the mulberries started and I just HAD to use them on my salad. I went out with my bucket with a hopeful heart and came back with a very paltry bunch of berries.
You see, last year after the ice storm, the BIGGEST mulberry tree in the area (which was about 30 feet tall) just happened to be on our neighbor’s property and they had it cut down after the storm (there was some pretty bad damage), so while my little tree is doing well, now ALL the birds are eating from my tree. So guess what? There are very few mulberries left for me. Shoot! The second time I went out to pick berries, there were even fewer left on the tree.
In a way this makes me sad, but at least I got a chance to have one lovely mango chicken mulberry salad. The dressing I dreamed up on the spot, throwing things together that I thought would compliment chicken, mangoes and mulberries. I took a look in my fridge and my eyes went right to the Chobani Key Lime yogurt. I seriously LOVE this yogurt. The texture of it is so wonderfully creamy and it really does taste like key lime pie. All I did was add a bit of lavender, some mango puree and a little fresh grated ginger to transform that marvelous yogurt into a sublime dressing.
- 1/2 of a ripe mango, peeled and pitted
- A small sprig of lavender leaves
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 cup Chobani Key Lime Flavor Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root (I used about 1 teaspoon)
- 4 - 5 chicken nuggets (all natural, cooked and chopped) or leftover chicken
- Mixed greens
- 1/2 of a ripe mango, peeled & sliced
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup fresh mulberries (or other berries)
- Fresh edible flowers, for garnish (if desired)
- Put the mango, lavender and lime juice into a handi chopper or mini food processor and process until smooth. Pour into a measuring cup: you should have about 1/4 cup mango puree. Pour this into a small bowl, add the yogurt and ginger and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Cook (or warm) the chicken. While the chicken is cooking, fill your salad bowl (or plate) most of the way with greens and prep the mango.
- Chop the chicken and toss it on the salad, then arrange the mango slices and sprinkle with berries. Garnish with violas or pansies or other edible flowers. Serve with the dressing to drizzle over top.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.