Mint Chip Irish Cream Ice Cream
This recipe is an interesting balance of decadent and healthy ingredients to make a delightfully creamy mint ice cream laced with Irish cream liqueur and little bits of minted chocolate that’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day (or any day when you want a little mint chocolate ice cream).
Really I never know where I’ll end up when I step into my kitchen to concoct something. Once I get into the groove of creating, little ideas pop out of nowhere until … there. It’s done! I started out to make a coconut avocado ice cream and ended up with this minty chocolate Irish cream creation. Yeah, that was an interesting tangent. My mind is a strange place to visit sometimes.
There is an avocado in this ice cream, but you won’t taste it. It’s just lending a bit of creaminess to the mixture and also helps keep your heart healthy. The coconut milk boosts the heart healthiness and adds disease and cancer-fighting superpowers. A bit of Irish Cream and creme de menthe liqueur add a little fun Irish twist to the classic mint chip ice cream taste. I used Brendan’s Irish Cream, but I imagine that the Bailey’s Irish Cream (or Bailey’s Mint!) would be really good in there too.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 can coconut milk (the full-fat version)
- 1 cup half & half (I used fat free half & half)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe liqueur
- 1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur (I used Brendan's, but Bailey's would be wonderful too)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Cut open the avocado, remove the pit, then using a spoon, scoop the contents out into a blender. Add the rest of the ice cream ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Put in an ice cream maker and get it started.
- While the ice cream is chilling, in a small bowl or saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil. Stir in the peppermint extract. Drizzle the chocolate into the churning ice cream in a thin stream. Let the ice cream finish churning till it's "done".
- Enjoy immediately ... or if you want a firmer ice cream, freeze for a couple hours in the freezer before serving.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Real Food Friday, What to Do Weekends, Sunday Dinner, Weekend Re-Treat, Munching Monday, Tuesday’s Table, Tuesday’s Table Ice Cream Social, Hearth & Soul Bloghop and Happiness is Homemade.