Protein Power Chocolate Banana Oatmeal
Super Quick Power Oatmeal! I love a bowl of good oatmeal for breakfast, especially when it is quick and easy and healthy–and decadent. I was travelling last weekend and needing a good breakfast. My host had some over-ripe bananas on hand and quick oats … and I discovered some healthy chocolate shake powder too. I didn’t have much time before I needed to dash out the door and needed to get some food in my belly quickly. I was quite alone too, so I whipped up a bowl of this.
You can make this oatmeal with any flavor protein powder … being a choco-holic, I personally love the chocolate. If the protein powder doesn’t make it chocolatey enough, use a little unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetener of your choice to pump up the chocolate. Substitute whatever milk fits your dietary requirements–I used 1%, but coconut or almond or cashew milk would be fabulous in this oatmeal too. And it can easily be gluten free by using gluten free oats.
- 1/2 - 1 very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 - 1 scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder
- a few fresh banana slices
- a few dark chocolate covered almonds, chopped
- In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Add the oats, milk, water, vanilla, salt and protein powder.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave another minute. The oats should be cooked by now, but if they are not, microwave another 30 seconds or so.
- Top with banana slices and chopped dark chocolate covered almonds.
- Enjoy while it's hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
To make this quick oatmeal gluten free, use gluten-free oats. I chopped up 3 Trader Joe’s dark chocolate covered almonds for the top. And yeah, GE microwaves rock–because of that awesome touchpad where you just tap any of the top 6 buttons to make it cook that many minutes.
This recipe was shared at Thursday Favorite Things, Freedom Fridays with All my Bloggy Friends, FoodieFriDIY, Gluten Free Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Weekend Retreat, Project Parade and Let’s Get Real.