Rhubarb Yogurt Streusel Muffins
Adapted from MyRecipes.com
Yesterday I woke up with muffins on my mind. I had a bunch of rhubarb in my freezer and the thought of some tart rhubarb with a sweet crunchy streusel topping sounded like heaven. Also, it just so happens that there was a team of developers at work who were working this Saturday and I had promised I would bring treats one Saturday, so I rushed to whip up a batch of muffins so I could take some over before my yoga class.
I had just one muffin, set aside one for my yoga teacher, then gave the rest to the guys at work. I didn’t stay to see what they thought of them because I was in a rush to get to yoga class, but I hope they enjoyed them! I am wishing I’d saved a couple more for myself today.
- 2/3 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt + 1/3 cup lowfat milk (or 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray (or use cupcake liners).
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, melted butter and flour. Stir to mix well, then set aside while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, yogurt & milk, then stir in the melted butter. Add the dry ingredients, spices and salt and stir just until everything is mixed together well. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them all the way to the top, sprinkle a spoonful of the streusel onto the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of one of the center muffins comes out clean. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.