Rosemary Fontina Grape Skewers
If you’re looking for a festive appetizer for the holidays, these little grape and cheese skewers are a beautiful addition to any appetizer table. Not only do they look beautiful, they taste amazing too! Especially when served with a nice glass of wine.
The cheese is marinated in extra virgin olive oil with rosemary, garlic, Italian seasoning, a bit of red pepper and sun-dried tomatoes to give the cheese even more flavor. I used my marinated feta recipe and swapped out the feta for Fontina. Other cheeses can be used too–just about any cheese would benefit from a bath in this elixir.
These skewers are very simple to make and quite healthy too. You’ll just need to start the cheese marinating at least a day or so ahead. The marinated cheese is a wonderful appetizer all on its own, and will go quickly if you simply set out the jar with a set of toothpicks. The seasoned olive oil left after the cheese is gone is fabulous for use in cooking. The cheese makes a fabulous homemade holiday gift, too, although make sure to tell your recipients to store it in the fridge!
- Fontina Cheese, cut into cubes
- A couple fresh sprigs of rosemary
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- A few sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian Seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh, crunchy grapes (I used green and black grapes)
- Extra long toothpicks
- At least a day before you plan to serve these, find a small wide-mouthed glass jar (or other container) and put a clove of garlic on the bottom, then make a layer of the cheese cubes. Tuck in a couple sprigs of rosemary, sprinkle with the chopped sundried tomatoes, a bit of red pepper flakes, then the Italian seasoning.
- Add another layer of cheese cubes and repeat the sprinkles, tucking in a bit more garlic or rosemary as desired. Continue until the jar is full of cheese (or you run out of cheese).
- Pour in enough olive oil to cover the cheese. Cover the jar or container and put in the refrigerator to marinade at least overnight or up to a week or two in advance.
- An hour or two before serving, take the cheese out of the fridge to allow the olive oil to liquify again. Prep the skewers by alternating cheese and grapes on long toothpicks. Garnish the plate with fresh rosemary.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.