Sausage & Kale Frittata
Last weekend I wanted a frittata. A healthy egg-y breakfast with cheese and vegetables … plus I had some leftover cooked breakfast sausage in my fridge that I decided to toss in. The flavor of the sausage with the kale and egg and cheese was magnificent. My stomach was pleased. My taste buds were happy. There was a bit of a giddy smile on my face and I could feel my body awakening from the healthy sustenance I’d just given it.
The kale came from my friend Kathy’s garden … or was it the kale my sister gave me? I am sooo blessed to have friends that give me fresh garden kale! It’s not as bitter as the store-bought kind. If your kale is bitter, try massaging it with a bit of olive oil before adding it to the skillet.
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 4 large ribs of kale
- 1/2 cup cooked breakfast sausage
- 4 - 6 eggs, whisked with 2 Tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon Red Robin seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup freshly shredded Asiago (or other Italian) cheese
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, add the avocado oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, cut the ribs from the kale and chop the leaves. Add the kale to the pan, cover for a minute, then stir. The kale should be wilted but still bright green. Stir in the sausage.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and sprinkle the top with cheese. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Let cook until the eggs are set, then cut into wedges and serve.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.