Smoky Asiago Zucchini Corn Soup
Creamy cheesy smoky wonderful soup with bits of sweet corn and tender zucchini.
My friend at work brought in some of her sweet corn to share with me … I roasted it on the grill with the intent of creating some wonderful smoky flavored something with it. I ate some of it hot off the grill, froze some of it and then I made some soup. I intended to make smoked corny corn bread too, but that just hasn’t happened yet. I often run out of time and energy before I run out of ideas.
I grilled the corn with the husks on. To do that, you first need to soak the un-shucked cobs of corn in water for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Shake the water off, then grill over hot coals until the corn is “done” … the husks get brown grill marks on them and inside the husks, the kernels get plump and hot. Peel back the husks to make a handy handle for your cob of corn.
The soup was so lovely, I had a bowl for lunch … and then I had another … and then a little later, I had some more. Cheesy garlic toast on the side with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning is just the right thing to go with it.
- 2 1/2 cups of corn kernels, cut from grilled corn on the cob
- 2 1/2 cups of zucchini, grilled (about 1 medium zucchini or 2 small ones)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled & chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 - 5 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 quart of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup fat free half & half or milk
- 2 oz. shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (more or less to taste)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Red Robin Seasoning (more or less to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- First, grill the corn and zucchini. Immerse the entire cobs of corn with husks and silks on and let soak for 15 minutes. Start up the grill. Shake the water from the corn and set it on the grill (do NOT remove the husks!). Set the zucchini on the grill. Check every 5 minutes or so, turning when the bottom side is charred and brown. Grill until all sides of the corn and zucchini are cooked. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Now start on the soup. Heat a soup pot over medium heat and melt the butter, then sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is lightly browned and translucent. Add the broth, potatoes and bay leaf. Cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and soft.
- Meanwhile cut the kernels from the corn and chop the zucchini. Add the corn to the soup and cook for a few minutes longer, then lower the heat and add the zucchini, basil, half & half, cheese, and seasonings. Cook for just a couple minutes longer until the cheese is melted and everything is good and hot.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.