Spinach Artichoke Chicken Salad
with bacon, toasted pinons, feta crumbles and a sundried tomato ranch dressing
A phenomenal salad with fresh spinach, martinated artichoke hearts, crispy chicken, juicy ripe tomatoes, crispy bacon, toasted pinons, crumbled feta cheese and a sun-dried tomato ranch dressing.
Oh it was a GOOD day today! I woke up LATE … lazed around in bed because it was Sunday and let my body decide when it was time to get up. Then I talked to my son for a while, made a fabulous breakfast, and headed off to the work at gym to do my workout. While I was working out, my body started getting hungry, so naturally, delicious ideas started brewing in my head, and this salad took form, getting more and more vivid and life-like in my head until it was all I could think of by the time I left the gym. I couldn’t wait to get home and make it, but I had to stop at the store for some cherry tomatoes first. It wouldn’t be complete without some nice ripe juicy sweet tomatoes.
I got home and the instant I walked in the door, I started making my incredible salad. I used pre-made natural chicken nuggets, but you could use leftover cooked chicken or cook up a chicken breast if you prefer. While the chicken was cooking, I put together the salad. It was hard to force myself to hold off long enough to snap a few pictures, but I managed it. Once I started eating, though, I tried to go slow to savor the flavor, but I found myself inhaling it, every bite tasted so good.
I had other cooking projects I’d planned for the day and I’d hoped to do some blogging, but my kids threw a couple more cooking projects on top of the ones I had planned, so I spent the rest of the day cooking. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind day, but a good one. And this salad was totally the high point. Well, until my teenage girl and I did a cooking project together. What’s better than cooking with your teenager (that same kid who never wants to talk to you)?
- Chicken nuggets, cooked & chopped ... or cooked chicken, chopped
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Marinated artichoke hearts, cut into quarters
- Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Toasted pinons
- Cooked lean bacon, crumbled
- Sun dried tomato ranch dressing - recipe here (or add finely chopped sun dried tomatoes to your favorite ranch dressing)
- Cook or warm the chicken. I find I need about 4 chicken nuggets or 1/2 cup chopped chicken for one salad, so if you are serving multiple people, adjust accordingly.
- Fill your salad plate most of the way with spinach leaves, top with artichoke hearts (3 - 4 per serving), sliced onion (a few slices per person), tomatoes (10 or so halves per person), then add crumbled feta cheese and toasted pinons (1 - 2 Tablespoons each, per person).
- Add a bit of crumbled bacon (1 Tablespoon per person) and serve with sun dried tomato ranch dressing.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.