Spinach Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushrooms are such a perfect vessel to hold bits of deliciousness. I am not sure exactly where I saw this idea … it was somewhere in the blogosphere, a brilliant idea from one of the foodie ninjas that I know. Once I saw it, I just HAD to try it, and I was so pleased with my little lasagna bites.
So these baby bellas are stuffed with a mixture of ricotta cheese, spinach, herbs and garlic, with a bit of hot Italian chicken sausage, then topped with sauce and melty mozzarella. Everything I love about lasagna, except easier, and bite-sized. A few of these little babies makes for a nice lunch for me.
They taste rich and cheesy, just like that cheese-ilicious Italian lasagna dish we all know and love–and they’re quite filling too, but they’re small and surprisingly low in calories. You could use the same filling to make lasagna stuffed portobello mushrooms on a larger scale, for bigger appetites. This minute size is perfect for little people like me, or for quick easy appetizers for a hungry crowd.
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) mushrooms
- 3 - 5 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons cooked hot Italian chicken sausage (optional)
- About 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil leaves
- About 1/2 Tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheeses
- 1 egg
- Your favorite marinara sauce (or other red pasta sauce)
- More shredded Italian and/or mozzarella cheese (for the top)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Clean the mushrooms, then pull the stems from the mushrooms. Chop the stems from about 6 of the mushrooms and save the rest for another use.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil, then add the chopped stems and garlic, Stir and cook for a few minutes, then cover and let cook a few more minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the garlic is fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix the sauteed mushrooms and garlic with the rest of the filling ingredients. Stuff the mushrooms with a spoonful of the filling mixture, then top each mushroom with a bit of marinara sauce and a bit more shredded cheese.
- Set the mushrooms in a rimmed baking pan. When all the mushrooms are stuffed (or you run out of filling), bake the mushrooms at 350 F. for 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted and the juices are running into the pan from the mushrooms. Serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.