Strawberry Kiwi Pistachio Salad
with Goat Cheese Crumbles and a fresh Strawberry Honey Poppy Seed dressing
I can’t recall exactly what prompted me to make this salad … something triggered a sudden remembrance of Kiwi … how long it’s been since we had one. And I began mentally pairing that juicy green kiwi with the fresh strawberries and the oh-so-creamy-good goat cheese I had in my fridge.
And then I remembered the pistachios. I had bought them on a whim, thinking they would be lovely on something, then stuck them in the freezer and forgot about them. I had been digging through the freezer the other day seeking something and I ran across them. Oh yes, I have pistachios! (made a little mental note to myself …)
I was a little disappointed to discover (alas!) that some of my pretty fresh strawberries had frozen in my refrigerator. This somehow seems to be a bigger deal when it’s March and it’s 15 below outside. I dug through the package to find some that weren’t completely frozen for my salad, tossed a few of the frozen ones in the dressing, and stuck the rest back in my fridge for another recipe.
- 5 fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Fresh mixed greens
- 1 kiwi, halved & sliced
- Several strawberries, halved
- About a Tablespoon or so of Goat cheese crumbles
- About a Tablespoon or so of roasted, salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- For the dressing: in a handi chopper or food processor, blend together all the dressing ingredients except the poppy seeds until the strawberries are pureed and it's all nice and smooth. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Now, fill your salad plate with mixed greens. Tuck in the kiwi slices and strawberries all about the salad, then sprinkle lightly with goat cheese and pistachios. Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.