Swiss Ham & Asparagus Egg Bake
A lovely egg bake with swiss and gruyere cheeses, chopped ham, roasted asparagus, onion and a little bit of sundried tomato. Instead of bread cubes, I used bread crumbs in the bottom and that gave this yummy breakfast dish a really nice soft & fluffy texture.
It’s Memorial Day weekend and after seeing my teenage daughter’s play for the third time Friday night, I decided it was okay to skip the last performance and take a quick trip up to see my family. Her dad was happy to make sure she got home okay after strike. I woke up early Saturday morning and thought about the yummy asparagus and ham I have in the fridge (knowing that I will be coming home with yet more asparagus) and thought I should make an egg bake to feed the crowd up at the lake.
We had a rainy Saturday, but the sun came out later in the day. We played a lawn game that my sister brought called Kubb or Viking Chess. It was fun at first, but I only knocked over one of the little kubbs the whole time. Sigh. I had sooo many close shots! The kids saw us playing and all wanted to join in, so we played a game of adults vs. kids and the kids totally beat us. Oh well! We were ready to be done with that game anyway. We drank beer and wine, talked and laughed and dad cooked up some fish for dinner. He made some noises about how he was JUST making fish (nothing to go with it), so I cooked up some very freshly cut asparagus and cheesy garlic toast to accompany our meal. It was a lovely evening.
This morning we woke up and ate my scrumptious egg bake. It was so nice to laze about and not to have to think about cooking this morning. Then the kids got out their water toys and swam and floated and splashed in the lake. I did a little wading on the beach and took pictures of the kids. Mom and the brother-in-laws all came out and joined us on the dock. It was nice little trip, but then I wanted to come home to my own kids. I’m glad to be home. It’s a beautiful sunny day and I decided I’m going to barbecue for the kids tonight. I brought a little of the egg bake home with me, for breakfast a couple days this week.
- 3 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Red Robin Seasoning (or your favorite seasoned salt) & freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs (or, for gluten free, use GF breadcrumbs or quinoa)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Red Robin Seasoning & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a small mixing bowl, toss the asparagus with the oil and sprinkle with seasoning and pepper. Pour onto a rimmed baking sheet and put in the oven to roast for 15 minutes or until the asparagus is crisp tender.
- Spray or oil a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Toss the breadcrumbs with the swiss cheese and spread them out over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with onion, ham and tarragon, then the asparagus and Gruyere cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs with the milk, seasoning and pepper. Pour the eggs over the asparagus mixture. Bake at 350 F. for about 50 minutes or until the eggs are set in the middle. Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate, then reheat individual servings in the microwave.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. I love it when you share, but please do not use my images on your own site/page without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. Sharing, pinning, and tweeting is always appreciated as long as the shares and pins link back to here for the recipe. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.