Turkey Avocado BLT Sandwich
I modeled this sandwich after one I had downtown at the Diner. The sandwich was SO good, I wrapped up the other half that I couldn’t eat for later … and then I was so sad when I left it on the table.
So when I came home and found my little tomato plant had some beautiful ripe red tomatoes on it, I just had to recreate that beautiful sandwich. I had a really hard time waiting to eat it until I’d taken a few photos …
You can skip the asparagus in the avocado spread if you like, but I like it because it adds another dimension of flavor (and it’s super good for you too!)
- 1/2 cup cooked asparagus (optional)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of a wedge of fresh lemon
- 1 Tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 slices of lean (lower fat) bacon
- 2 thin slices of good bread (whole grain works really well on this sandwich)
- A bit of butter (or reduced fat spread with no trans fats)
- Several slices of swiss cheese
- 2 - 3 slices of smoked turkey
- Fresh garden tomato slices
- A few arugula or spinach leaves
- Blend all the ingredients for the spread in a handi chopper or food processor until smooth.
- Cook the bacon to your liking and set it aside.
- Spread the top of the first slice of bread with butter. Flip it over onto your frying pan and top with swiss cheese. Arrange the bacon on the cheese, then the turkey slices. Top with fresh tomato slices and arugula or spinach leaves.
- Spread the other half of the bread (the inside half) with lots of the yummy avocado spread and set it on top of the sandwich, then spread the top with butter.
- Heat your pan over medium low heat, cover it loosely, and cook until the bottom slice of bread is nicely browned. Carefully flip the sandwich over with a spatula, and cook the other side till brown.
- Slice the sandwich to your liking and serve immediately.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
I came home the next night and wanted another one, but discovered my homemade bread had gone bad. Sigh … so I discovered you can also make this sandwich as a wrap. (Personally, I prefer the toasted version, but sometimes you have to make do.)