Turkey Fontina Romesco Sandwich on Brioche
with Romesco sauce, red onion, and mixed greens
There are days when I come home and I just need something quick because I’m STARVING! But my opinionated, snobbish taste-buds stubbornly refuse to “settle” for something boring and ordinary. I spend the time on the drive home thinking “what is IN my fridge and how on earth am I going to make something wonderful happen before I faint from hunger?”
So this was a sandwich born of one of those “food emergency” states for me. Pair a good bread (so glad I made those lovely Brioche buns) and a great sauce (Romesco yeah baby!) along with an amazing cheese (my beloved Fontina), that’s almost all you need. I toasted the bun, melted the cheese over some smoked turkey, topped with red onion and greens and that was all I needed to calm my hunger emergency and make my persnickety taste buds quite pleased as well.
- 1 Brioche bun (recipe here)
- Romesco Sauce (recipe here)
- Several thin slices of smoked turkey
- 1 (bun-size) slice of fontina cheese
- Red onion slices
- Mixed greens
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (if you're using a toaster oven, no need to preheat). Slice the bun(s) in half and spread the bottom of each bun liberally with Romesco sauce. Pile on the turkey, then cover it with cheese and red onion slices. Set your sandwich(es) on a baking sheet (both top & bottom).
- Bake at 400 for 8 - 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the top of the bun is toasted.
- Pile some greens on each sandwich, add the top of the bun and enjoy while it's hot!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2014, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Real Food Friday.