Buffalo Cauliflower “Wings” w Blue Cheese Dip
Recipe from Full Belly Sisters
My friend Justine over at Full Belly Sisters is amazing. She invented the best grilled cheese sandwich on the planet (the green grilled cheese), and she’s responsible for that chocolate pistachio cannoli icebox cake (you’ll have to read the story about that one …) … and now, this time she got me to try making buffalo “wings” with cauliflower.
First of all, I just have to tell you, you need to just let go of your expectations of buffalo chicken wings. Unless you’re some kind of weird magician from another galaxy, you cannot make cauliflower taste like chicken. It is still, underneath all that spicy red sauce, cauliflower.
That said, these little babies make an awesome snack. Not to mention they got me to eat over 1/4 of a head of cauliflower in one sitting (and I had to tell myself to stop to keep me from eating all of them). It was just so easy to keep dipping and munching on these spicy little bites … but really, how can you help but keep picking up another intoxicatingly red spicy breaded bite and dipping it in creamy blue cheese dip? I don’t know about you, but I had a hard time stopping.
Sooo … how do you want to eat your vegies? I’ll take mine buffaloed, hands down!
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons light mayo
- 2 Tablespoons light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 4 - 6 Tablespoons blue cheese crumbles (I used the low fat version)
- 1/2 cup baking mix (I used a store bought pancake mix I found in my cupboard that we had bought on a vacation ... but you can use a homemade or gluten free baking mix too)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 of a large head of cauliflower (about 0.8 lb.)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Frank's Buffalo Wings sauce (or other hot sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Make the dip by mixing all the dip ingredients together ... then set the dip aside to let the flavors meld.
- Whisk together the baking mix, water, and garlic in a bowl until smooth.
- Segment the cauliflower into bite-size pieces (whatever that means for you) and then dip each floret into the batter, shaking off as much of the excess batter as possible before setting it on the baking sheet. Set them in the oven and let them bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl in a covered bowl in the microwave, then stir in the hot sauce.
- When the cauliflower is done, remove it from the oven, cut off any excess "drippings" from the batter that makes for an unruly-looking "wing" (I had a few ...), then brush each floret with the spicy sauce, coating it all over with the yummy buttery buffalo sauce and setting them back on the baking sheet.
- Set your cauliflower yummies back in the oven to bake for 8 - 10 minutes. When you open the oven, you should hear them "sizzling" and see little bits of brown on some of them.
- Set on a serving plate and serve with the creamy blue cheese dip. Justine says to use a fork for dipping them ... I used my fingers, but I think she's right! There are no bones in these "wings" so yeah, a fork might work better.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© 2013 Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Tuesday Talent Show, Show & Share Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Tasty Thursday, Thursday’s Treasures and All my Bloggy Friends.