Buffalo Chicken & Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
After I made those Buffalo Chicken Wontons, I seriously could not believe there could be any better buffalo chicken appetizer recipe possible. But then I had the idea to try that same creamy spicy chicken filling stuffed into a juicy mushroom … and could not believe how WONDERFUL that tasted! The juices from the sauce and the chicken and cheese soak into the mushroom cap and make an oh-so-fricking-fabulously-good flavor explosion in your mouth. I am usually all about the crunch factor, but I’d gladly leave the crunch factor behind to sink my teeth into one of these juicy little bites.
The other amazing thing about these spicy good little bites is they are even HEALTHIER than the Buffalo Chicken wontons! Heck, I’d even venture to say they are healthier than the Buffalo Cauliflower Wings. I mean, mushrooms are pretty darn healthy. chicken is great protein, the buffalo sauce is full of healthy capsaicin (and it’ll clear out your sinuses!), there’s a bit of Greek yogurt in there (from the Greek cream cheese) and these hot little treasures are gluten free too.
Guilt-free appetizers that taste amazing? I am SO into that.
For those of you that are watching the big game this weekend, these little shrooms are the perfect game-day appetizer. They won’t even guess they’re eating healthy.
- 8-oz. large, fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- About 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank's hot wing sauce)
- 2 oz. Greek cream cheese (or Neufchatel)
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Clean the mushrooms, pull out the stems & chop the stems. Set the caps aside. Spray a baking sheet with a lip (to catch the juices) with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the garlic, mushroom stems, onion, and celery. Saute, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the chicken and buffalo sauce and cook until hot. Add the cream cheese in little chunks and cook and stir until melted and the cream cheese is fully incorporated.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with a heaping amount of buffalo chicken mixture, then stick some blue cheese crumbles on top and set it on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are nice and juicy and the blue cheese on top is melted.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.