Chipotle Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Adapted from Damn Delicious
Surviving as a seafood lover in the midwest is somewhat troublesome. While the lakes here provide a bountiful supply of wonderful fresh fish, it’s nigh impossible to find fresh shrimp or crab or lobster. I often resort to canned or frozen seafood and when we go out, well, Red Lobster is a frequented favorite of ours, mostly because there isn’t much else in the way of seafood. And who isn’t susceptible to falling in love with those dangerous Cheddar Bay Biscuits? I try to abstain from the biscuits because if I eat them, I won’t have any room left for the food I’ve ordered, but I always have to have at least one …
Last week when we were having hurricane-like storms here, torrential rains and hail and flash flooding, I was driving home from work through the sheets of rain, thinking “I want a Cheddar Bay biscuit” … but there was no way in hell I was going out again in this chaotic weather … and anyway, biscuits are easy. As my teenagers would say, “I gots this.”
These particular biscuits are easier than easy. You don’t need a friggin’ mix to make these … just a couple measuring cups. Measure, mix, drop bits of dough on the sheet and bake them. They are soooo simple! Of course I couldn’t help but tinker with the recipe by adding chipotle … and I did healthify them just a bit, but not too much so they are still marvelously buttery, cheesy and crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside. My son came up and tasted them and looked at me and said, in an accusing tone, “you cut the amount of butter, didn’t you?” I admitted that I did, and he proceeded to eat 4 or 5 biscuits anyway, teasing his sister that he was going to eat them all.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 - 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups low fat milk
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley or 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the yogurt and milk, then whisk in the melted butter.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the dough comes together into a thick, sticky dough.
- Drop 1/4-cup-size-ish chunks of the dough onto the baking sheet, leaving a couple inches between the biscuits. While the biscuits are baking, melt the butter with the garlic & parsley and stir well.
- Bake at 450 for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with the buttery topping and serve while they are still warm.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.