Cucumber & Yellow Watermelon Salad
with fresh mint, figgy goat cheese & toasted walnuts
I have been wanting to make this salad for weeks I think … but waiting until the watermelon and the cucumber are both present in my house at the same time AND I have the time and inclination to make and eat salad. It happened one evening when I had a little time. I made one for myself, and then, since there was still cucumber and watermelon, I found myself making several of these lovely salads in jars for my friends. Before I knew it, I had four gorgeous salads lined up in my fridge.
My mom and dad grow yellow and orange watermelons in their garden. They are smaller melons than your standard gargantuan red style watermelon … and yes, they have seeds, but when they are at their prime, they are beautifully sweet and crunchy and so much better than anything you’ll find at the store.
The perfect compliment to these gorgeous vibrant yellow watermelons is crunchy cool cucumber and mint, creamy sweet goat cheese and hearty walnuts which add just a hint of bitterness, rounding out the flavors oh so well. If the melons were ready mid-summer, it would be oh so perfect to cool down from the heat, but alas they ripen later, so here it is October and I have melons coming out my ears.
Honestly, this one was a little over-ripe, so there were parts of the melon I had to discard, but that’s probably my fault for taking so long to cut into this beauty. It’s sooo hard this time of year, when everything is so plentiful, to keep up with it all!
This lovely salad really has no need of a dressing, but if you want one, I suggest one of the following:
- Tequila Lime Vinaigrette
- Honey White Wine Lavender Vinaigrette
- Honey Lemon Ginger White Wine Vinaigrette
- Maple Ginger Yogurt Dressing
- 1 large cucumber
- About 1/8 - 1/4 of a ripe yellow watermelon (depending on the size of the watermelon ... or use red watermelon!)
- Several fresh mint leaves, chopped fine
- Crumbled fig goat cheese (available at Costco ... or mix regular goat cheese with a bit of fig jam or honey)
- Walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- Use a spiralizer with ribbon blade to spiralize the cucumber or a vegetable peeler to cut it into thin ribbons. Or you can just slice it with a knife.
- Use a melon baller to cut balls of melon, avoiding the seeds (or just chop the melon.) Toss the melon with the chopped mint.
- Set the cucumber on your salad plate (or bowl) and top with the watermelon, then sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts. Enjoy!
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2016, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.