Easy 20 Minute Skillet Pizza Sauce
This is a quick, easy pizza/pasta sauce that you can whip up in just 20 minutes. The “secret” to making it so quick is to make it in a larger, flat pan like a frying pan, rather than a saucepan. This helps the sauce cook and thicken faster.
I made this easy tomato sauce for my daughter’s pizza the other night when I made myself that fabulous White Mushroom & Sausage Pizza. She didn’t say anything to me, but she gobbled up her pizza so I assume I have her approval on this one.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 pint of home canned tomatoes (or 1 15-oz. can of tomatoes)
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to brown. Cook a few minutes more to ensure all the onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour a splash of the juices from the tomatoes into the onion mixture; cook and stir for a few minutes until the juices are gone, then do it again one or two more times. Pour in the rest of the tomatoes, the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, honey and salt. Cook and stir for about 7 - 10 minutes longer, until the mixture is thickened and tastes good. Adjust seasonings and/or salt to taste.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let cool slightly before using. For a smoother sauce, pour into a blender or handi chopper and puree until smooth.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2015, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
Support this blog by starting your shopping here: