Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta Soup
Nothing welcomes the chill of autumn better than a bowl of hot soup. A nice bowl of hot soup is a full meal for me … and it feels so good especially when the fall colds start going around or when my allergies are acting up.
When I made bruschetta the other day, I ended up with quite a bit left (because I made extra), and it was sitting in the bowl and the tomatoes were so juicy, it was starting to look soupy so that made me think of … soup! Why not make bruschetta soup?
So I turned my bruschetta upside down and made some amazing soup in just a few minutes. This is an awesome cook-once,
eat-twice kinda meal. Next time you make bruschetta with your fresh garden tomatoes, make extra, then you can turn the leftovers into this comforting soup.
- 1 1/2 cups heirloom tomato bruschetta (recipe here) (I used extra garlic)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Good bread, cut into cubes and toasted
- Shredded Italian blend of cheeses
- In a saucepan, mix the bruschetta, tomato juice and broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Pour the soup into oven safe bowls and top with toast cubes, then cover the croutons with shredded cheese.
- Carefullly set the bowls in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is good and melty and maybe even a little brown and bubbly on top.
- Transfer the bowls to serving plates, garnish with fresh basil leaves (if desired) and serve immediately.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Tuesday Talent Show, Try a New Recipe Tuesday, The Gathering Spot, Cast Party Wednesday, Fresh Foods Wednesday, Thursday’s Treasures, Friday Flash Blog, What to Do Weekends and All my Bloggy Friends.