Honey Apricot Mango Granola Bars
Not long ago I got a message from Sabrina asking me if I’d like to try a recipe for Cinnamon Breakfast Squares with Yogurt and Berries made with Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch. She offered to send me some of the cereal and I said sure, why not?
So a few days later a box arrived at my door with a box of the cereal, a bunch of coupons and a couple other little “bonus” items. I set out to make the breakfast squares, but they didn’t look like they would travel very well and I’m on the road this week, so I decided I’d try a little something different … how about some “power” granola bars made with Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch? I figured it was worth a try, so I started tossing in some of my favorite things in the pan and toasting up some oats, nuts and cereal. I heated up some honey with a few spices and used that to stick the bars together.
The result was astounding. I was so proud, I decided it was worthy to give some to my boss for her birthday. She said they were really good. (I would only give her the best! She’s an amazing boss.) For me, I don’t think I can ever go back to store-bought granola bars. These are so easy and SO good! I did save some for the trip, too, and they came in VERY handy. Full of whole grains, nuts, seeds, honey and oats, these granola bars are just the thing to give your body a very healthy energy boost that’ll satisfy your sweet tooth too. Thanks Sabrina, for getting me to try a little something new and different! Maybe I’ll make those breakfast squares when I get home …
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch cereal
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried mango, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Pour the oats, cereal, almonds, sesame seeds and wheat germ into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Set in the oven and let it "toast" for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring at least twice.
- Pour the cereal mixture into a large bowl, then spray the 13 x 9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with butter.
- Put the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and spices into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until warm and bubbly, stirring to mix well.
- Pour the sticky mixture over the cereal mixture and mix well. Stir in the chopped apricot and mango. Pour into the prepared 13 x 9 inch pan and press down well. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until it's a nice golden brown on top. Let cool for 2 - 3 hours, then cut into bars.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.
This recipe was shared at Munching Monday, Tuesday’s Table, Simple Supper Tuesday, Foodie Friends Friday, Friday Frenzy, The Weekend Social, The Weekend Retreat, What to Do Weekends and Moonlight & Mason Jars.