Savory Onion Pepper Feta Breakfast Quinoa
Inspired by a recipe from my good friend Ann over at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen.
A hearty, protein and fiber-rich breakfast, full of contrasting textures and tastes to please your palate and keep you going through the day (or at least through one power yoga class).
Saturday morning Vinyasa yoga classes with Roscha at the Dharma Room are a really good workout. (People who think that yoga is easy have never had a class with Roscha! … or most of my other “power” yoga teachers. I seriously love them all!) Sometimes, in my rush to get to yoga on Saturday mornings, I forget to eat breakfast before I go. That is a BIG mistake. You don’t want to go to Roscha’s class with no calories to sustain you. I know this from experience.
Today, I was not going to do that to myself. Today, I am taking care of myself. Today, I am taking care of my body. Today, I am relaxing and rejuvenating. Today, I planned a good hearty breakfast BEFORE yoga, so I could make it through that long Saturday class and feel totally energetic (not starved for food!) afterwards.
Today, Roscha worked us extra hard. Those normal “integration” moments she usually throws into class that provide moments to relax were delayed while we stoked the fire and kept it burning, then stoked it again and let it burn, and then yes, again, stoke and burn. I’m not sure how many cycles we went through before we finally started to slow down. The temperature in the room wasn’t that hot, but I tell you, every one of us was burning!
Today, I was very, very, VERY glad I had this hearty breakfast quinoa in my body to get me through that class and beyond. (If you are unfamiliar with quinoa, here’s a really good post about quinoa from The Foodie Physician.)
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet or bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa this time, but you can use whatever color you prefer)
- 1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 - 2 eggs
- Tomato-basil-flavored feta cheese crumbles, snipped green onions and/or fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- Heat a sautee or saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, swirling around to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Sautee, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the quinoa and cottage cheese. Cover, set on a back burner over low heat while you cook the egg(s).
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into your plate or bowl (dividing in two if you're making two servings). Slide the egg(s) on top and enjoy.
I used about half the quinoa mixture for my breakfast, with one egg, but I have a pretty light appetite. For a heftier appetite, this would serve one. For lighter appetites, it serves two.