Chocolate Pistachio Truffle Berries
Inspired by Amee’s Savory Dish’s recipe appearing on PopSugar
Strawberries filled with a sweet chocolate mascarpone filling, topped with dark chocolate and chopped pistachios to seal in the “truffle-esque” filling.
I made these chocolate mascarpone stuffed strawberries for my friend Kelly for her birthday … she had given me some ideas for favorite foods, but then she kept talking about strawberries all week. So I decided it had to be strawberries. But something way more decadent than just berries. This was a special birthday and Kelly is a pretty dang awesome friend.
Kelly shared the berries with our group. Several of the gals agreed they were “truffle-esque” … I like that word. So I decided these should be called “Truffle Berries”.
If you are not sure whether your recipient is fond of pistachios, make some with nuts, some without.
- 8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
- 5 oz. light cream cheese
- 3 oz. dark or semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- About 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or mint leaves (optional)
- 1 - 2 lb. fresh strawberries
- Good quality dark or semi-sweet chocolate, melted, for dipping
- Chopped roasted pistachios
- Mix together all the filling ingredients. Beat with a mixer on high speed until the mixture is soft and fluffy.
- Clean the strawberries, then, using a small knife cut out a cone in the center of each berry to make a hole for the filling.
- Cover a flat surface (such as a large cutting board or baking sheet) with waxed paper or a nonstick silicon baking mat.
- Pipe (or spoon) as much of the filling as you can fit into each berry. Melt the dipping chocolate and drizzle over the end of the berry to seal in the filling, then sprinkle the chocolate end of the berry with chopped pistachios and set the berry gently on the prepared surface. Repeat with the other berries until you run out of berries (or filling or chocolate). Make some without the nuts to please those who aren't partial to nuts.
- Let the berries sit until the chocolate has set ... or set the tray in the fridge to set faster. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until serving time. Serve the same day for best results.
RECIPE SOURCE: http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/
© Copyright 2013, Sumptuous Spoonfuls. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to publish any of my images, please ask first. If you want to republish this recipe as your own, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe.