Cilantro Almond Pesto
I’m in love … with this pesto … I’ve just blended it up in my handi chopper. One taste and there was no question … this is my favorite pesto ever. It’s the most beautiful shade of green and the taste! Oh how can I even begin to describe it? The cilantro, of course, is the superstar … the almonds sit quietly behind and lightly boost that lovely herb. A bit of onion, a little jalapeno for a light kick and some olive oil and salt. That’s all there is to it. I could eat it by the spoonful (… but I’m trying to hold myself back … because I want to use it in some recipes!)
I am having an “Eating Green” party today on facebook … I can’t even begin to share all the deliciousness that has crossed my page in the past 8 hours. So of course I had to make something green. I am not very hungry after the kids and I went out for lunch, but I thought of the cilantro in my fridge and how I really wanted to put it to good use, so I went internet-searching for a recipe. I found this Cilantro Pesto recipe on Simply Recipes. I thought I’d give it a whirl and see how it tastes … now I’m dreaming about how to use it. Hmm … pasta? sandwich? chicken? fish? maybe a wrap?
I’m not quite decided on what I’m going to do with it yet, but I just couldn’t wait to share this yummy discovery with you …
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh cilantro leaves, packed, large stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1/3 cup whole almonds
- A few slices of jalapeno (adjust the amount to the level of heat you want)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 of a medium onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or handi chopper and blend until smooth. Make sure you scrape the sides down to make sure all the leaves and onion and everything gets blended really well into the mix.